Monday, August 6, 2012

Butt Lite 6–Bike Prep

For the past 2 weeks or so I’ve been working to get the BMW ready for this 6 day endurance rally. It’s been ready since Sunday. Since returning from the BMW rally I’ve installed a McCruise system, chased down some electrical gremlins, sealed and painted my auxiliary fuel tank, sewed a permanent rain cover on my tank bag, replaced tires, replaced rear brakes and changed the fluids.

Today I took the bike out for a short ride around town to get the annual safety inspection done. I had to visit five different locations before I found a place that had the right inspection stickers for motorcycles. Then I had to wait an hour before they finally got to me. Of course the bike passed inspection, it’s prepped for an epic trip after all.

The scramble today has been more about me than my bike. I wanted to change out a pouch in my rally ring binder. I wanted a particular type of protein drink for my breakfasts on the go. I needed to get my Canadian insurance ID card laminated (Thank you John). And I had to buy a new laptop. OK, I didn’t have to buy a new laptop, I wanted to buy a new laptop. So I did.

With less than 24 hours until I leave I have the fun challenge of loading it with Linux and all the software that I’ll need for the rally. But it’s a 15.5” Sony Ultrabook weighing in at 4.4lbs. Even with the power supply I’m under 5lbs. My old laptop weighed over 9lbs with the power supply and couldn’t run unplugged for more than 20 minutes. The other bonus is that while the screen may be smaller in inches, it’s actually got a bigger resolution so I’ll be able to see even more of my map software.

Let the adventure begin!

No comments: