Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rallies 2011 – Day 5

Yesterday was great! We enjoyed time with our friends whom we had not seen in many, many years. They were incredible hosts and I discovered I have yet another friend who has more hi-tech gadgets than me. I’m really falling behind the times in technology. We went to see part of the Hershey exhibits and then we headed over to Gettysburg. I was thankful we had an automobile and a fanatical tour guide for the trip. Dave made it a great experience with his incredible depth of knowledge on the subject.

Today we said goodbye to our friends and headed out of town. I’d like to tell you it was a cake walk getting out of town but some how I got myself so lost and frustrated. We finally had to stop at a Panera Bread in Camp Hill to catch our bearings. It turned out we were on the very road we needed to be on to go where we wanted. We made our way down to I-76 which is a turnpike. Then we headed west for 91 miles passing through 2 tunnels. We exited in Bedford and got on US 30W. That took us out to where Flight 93 crashed on September 11, 2001. We visited the crash site and looked at the temporary memorial that is in place. Currently construction is under way to make a permanent memorial with the first phase of work to be completed by September 11th of this year. When everything is finished it will be a beautiful tribute to the heroes of that flight.

I was really impressed by the fact that gift shops and novelty shops had not popped up in the area. There really wasn’t much of anything nearby. I might be a little sensitive to this after walking around Gettysburg and seeing the shops selling everything from baseball paraphernalia to medieval weapons to witchcraft supplies. What any of that had to do with a battle in 1865 is beyond me, it just seemed to be about people making a buck off the tourist crowd. The Flight 93 Memorial isn’t like that at all, it’s a respectful place honoring the ordinary people on a flight that made an extraordinary sacrifice for others.

After leaving the memorial we continued west on US-30 until we caught 219N. That took us up to US-22 East which then took us to I-99N. When we reached the end of the road, we got onto I-80E toward Bloomsburg. We arrived just before 6pm. It was a longer day than we had expected due to routing challenges and stuff but it was a great day.

We’ll be at the BMW MOA Rally through Sunday morning and then we are departing for BBQ ribs at a friend’s house in Connecticut. Don’t expect much in the way of reports until Sunday evening. Have a great week!

Today’s mileage was 341 miles in 9 hours 32 minutes.

day 5

No comments: