Friday, July 17, 2009

AK '09 - Day 27

The girls arrived today. Hooray!

Today was a rest day, a chance to clean up the bikes, rest and await the arrival of the girls. As it always seems to happens, I woke up around 4am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So I completed some work that a client needed. Around 5:30 I decided I needed to get some sleep so I turned off the laptop and went to sleep.

A little after 8, John's phone started ringing while he was in the shower. That was enough to get me to waking up. A short time later I got out of bed, took a shower and got dressed. Then we went in search of breakfast.

There was a restaurant/casino at a nearby hotel so we tried it. I'm pretty sure the place is going out of business and they just don't realize it, or new owners have taken over and they are slow to revive the property. None the less, they were serving breakfast so we thought we'd give it a try. The waitress was new and hadn't figured out the art of multi-tasking but she had a good attitude and the menu looked good. Breakfast turned out to be good.

After breakfast we went to Wal-Mart for some bolts and a pink ribbon. On the way back we stopped at the car wash to clean up the bikes. I wanted to present Reagan with a clean bike when she arrived. I sprayed, I scrubbed, I wiped, I sprayed some more. It took about $9 to get the bike cleaned up. I even found an Armour All pad for $1 so I did the tires and control arms. Then it was back to the hotel to move into our separate rooms.

The staff was very helpful and allowed us to leave our stuff in last night's room until the new rooms were available. Then we had the choice of rooms so we took 2 rooms on the first floor near the lobby.

After moving into the new room, I took care of a reservation issue in Gardiner. I made some calls and then took a nap. It was a rest day after all.

At 3pm the alarm clock went off so I got up. It was time to go to the liquor store. A short walk down the street and we had our bottles. I went back to the room to work on the pink bow I planned to make for Reagan's bike. With scissors borrowed from the front desk I managed to make something that looked like a bow. Then I took it outside to put on the bike. It turned out pretty good.

The last thing to do was to call a cab to take us to the airport. The front desk gave me 2 numbers. Both went to voicemail but I left my name and number for the second one as they sounded like a professional operation. After 30 minutes there was no callback and it was after 4pm. We were running out of time. I got a third number from Columbia Falls and when I called the guy he had an attitude so I just said to heck with it. We'd pick the girls up on the bikes. So we took off for the airport.

We arrived about 10 minutes before the flight landed. Finally after 4 weeks I was reunited with my sweet and supportive wife. I was very happy to see her again. Skype helps but it's nice to see a person for real. We walked out of the airport and there was the bike, with the bow. Reagan was very surprised, she was expecting the bike but not the bow. He he he he. I surprised her :)

We went back to the hotel and then went down to a steakhouse for a nice dinner. Well, I've decided Kalispell doesn't have a nice restaurant anywhere in town. They claimed to be a steakhouse but they only had 3 steaks on the menu and one of them was a sandwich. It was really just a burger joint with a casino. The place was a disappointment but we were with our wives and that made things better.

After dinner we rode back to the hotel. Reagan wanted to take the Spyder for a spin around the parking lot so I gave her a quick orientation of the controls and then it was hers. She started it up, backed up then rode around the parking lot before parking it for the night. I think she liked it.

Tomorrow we are heading to Glacier National Park and staying in Helena. Then it's over to Gardiner so we can ride Bear Tooth Pass, then we are heading into Yellowstone for 2 days. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good pictures now that I have the throttle lock, and Reagan brought her camera too.

No comments: